SGAICO Newsletter February 2018
Dear Members and Friends of SGAICO, Welcome to our first newsletter in 2018 with updates on upcoming events, a call for board candidates, and pointers to interesting reads.
Upcoming Events (see Event Calendar for links)
Note that as a SGAICO member you benefit from a discount on most events.
May 16: Law & Robots Workshop 2018 – Predictive Analytics bei Versicherungen und in der Arbeitswelt: Diskriminierung durch Algorithmen?
– organized by Prof. Kurt Pärli, Juristische Fakulät Universität Basel
June 06: Preconference event on Deep Learning for SDS|2018
– organized by SGAICO board member Thilo Stadelmann
June 7: SDS|2018, 5th Swiss Conference on Data Science – Special Track on AI
– organized by SGAICO
We will have Prof. Naftali Tishby as a keynote speaker who recently presented a fascinating theory trying to explain the success of deep learning (see also Recommended Reads below). We look forward to an in-depth time of discussion and Q&A with him.
June 12/13: SwissText 2018
– organized by SGAICO member Marc Cielibak
June 13: 4th Cognitive services roundtable with focus on Human-Machine Interaction
– organized by SGAICO president Jana Koehler and Reto Waelchli, Swisscom
July 5–8: 6th AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (HCOMP 2018)
– held at the University of Zurich and co-organized by Google Zurich
July 13-19: IJCAI-ECAI 2018, the 27th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence and the 23rd European Conference on Artificial Intelligence take place in Stockholm, Sweden
News in Brief
• Please send input to the event calendar to our email address. Pointing us to events of interest can also help to get you a discount on the event.
• Our AI/CO Education website was re-organized and gives you a better overview on AI educational offers per institution. We still need your input to update links and entries. Please contact us to request changes.
• A new CAS course on AI is now offered at Hochschule Luzern. The course is the most-comprehensive professional education offer in AI available in Switzerland. See https://www.hslu.ch/de-ch/informatik/weiterbildung/data-intelligence-and-big-data/cas-artificial-intelligence/ for more information.
• Recent McKinsey Global Institute report discusses Automation and how it can bring substantial benefits to businesses and economies worldwide.
• Machine learning mindmap that we found useful and interesting.
• New York Times article discusses the need for transparency and explanation in machine learning.
• Do we really want humanoid robots? interviewing AAAI president Rao Kambahmpati.
• The chatbot hype has already come to an end!
With Best Regards Your SGAICO Board Jana, Thilo, Jean-Daniel, Marc-Oliver
Copyright © 2018 SGAICO, All rights reserved.