Date(s) - 27/11/2013
09:30 - 17:00
EPFL Building BC
The annual assembly and workshop of SGAICO provides a forum of exchange among swiss researchers and industry practitioners interested in artificial intelligence and cognitive science.
Minutes of the SGAICO Assembly Meeting in Lausanne, Nov 27, 2013
Plans for 2014
– The next SGAICO event is the Data Science Workshop organized by ZHAW Datalab, Dr. Thilo Stadelmann.
– The next SGAICO Assembly and Workshop will be held at the University of Basel in Fall 2014, hosted by the AI group of Prof. Malte Helmert.
– The core team will continue to run SGAICO. It currently consists of Klaus Bena, Jana Koehler, Jean-Daniel Dessimoz, Thilo Stadelmann, Rene Schumann. As Klaus is currently struggling with some health problems, the overall coordination will be done by Jana.
– We plan to hold elections of a new president and board at the next Assembly in Fall 2014.
– Members agreed that SGAICO should mostly focus on increasing the publicity of AI/CS in Switzerland and on advertising AI work by coordinating AI/CS activities. AI/CS research has made signifcant progress and the importance of AI-based technology is growing. Some breakthrough applications can be expected in the near future. SGAICO should help in promoting AI/CS work in Switzerland and become a contact point for interested parties (Public, Education, Industry).
– We agreed to invite AI/CS Groups to have their web pages linked to the SGAICO website to provide an overview on AI/CS work in Switzerland. Coordination: Jana Koehler
– In addition, a list of AI-related courses will be added to the website. Coordination: Thilo Stadelmann
AI Courses in University Education
– Students show an increased interest in AI-related courses, but the offer at each university is limited. Members agreed to exchange information on their AI courses. In a second step, we want to explore opportunities to offer cross-university AI education in the form of a summer school or block week with credits being granted and accepted by all universities.
Coordination: Thilo Stadelmann
Importance of Cognitive Science
– Members agreed that Cognitive Science is an important subarea and its connection to the more Computer Science-oriented AI should be strengthened.
Longer Term Activities
– The U Basel AI Group has been contacted to hold the german KI conference in Switzerland in 2015 or later. We agreed that SGAICO will support the opportunity to bring a larger AI-related event to Switzerland to the extent possible. Furthermore, SGAICO will coordinate its activities with this event, perhaps offer student grants, hold a Phd Seminar, provide tutorials. To be explored further. Coordination: Malte Helmert
Our annual assembly and workshop was a lifely event with an interesting list of talks (see below).
|09:00||Coffee & Croissants|
|09:30||09:45||Welcome at EPFL||Boi Faltings/Jana Koehler||EPFL/HSLU|
|09:45||10:15||talk 1||Wolfgang Schachner||CEPIAG||CEPIAG_III: an environment to simulate psychogenetical constructions|
|10:15||10:45||talk 2||Erö Csaba||EPFL||Data-driven building process of a multi-scale mouse-brain for closed-loop simulations|
|11:00||11:30||talk 3||Berat Denizdurduran||EPFL||A computational model of musculoskeletal system|
|11:30||12:00||talk 4||Jean-Daniel Dessimoz||HESSO.HEIG-VD||A Mutual Perspective of Artificial Cognition and Philosophy|
|12:00||12:30||talk 5||Goran Radanovic||EPFL||A Robust Bayesian Truth Serum for Non-binary Signals|
|12:30||13:00||talk 6||Marina Boia||EPFL||A 🙂 Is Worth a Thousand Words: How People Attach Sentiment to Emoticons and Words in Tweets|
|13:00||14:00||Lunch & Discussion|
|14:00||14:15||talk7||Thilo Stadelmann||ZHAW School of Engineering||Datalab – The Data Science Group at ZHAW School of Engineering|
|14:15||14:30||talk 8||Malte Helmert||Uni Basel||AI in Basel: Who we are and what we do|
|14:30||15:00||talk 9||Jendrik Seipp||Uni Basel||Counterexample-guided Abstraction Refinement for Classical Planning|
|15:00||15:30||talk 10||Jan Burse||XLOG Technologies GmbH||Practical Applications of a Constraint Framework|
|15:45||16:30||Assembly Meeting||ALL||SGAICO 2014 Plans||Data Science Event March 2014
Topics for other SGAICO events 2014/2015
AI/CogSci in Swiss University Education
The EPFL Campus map can be found here (Building BC is in the middle left).
Copyright © 2017 | Swiss Group for Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science